My everyday makeup routine ranges from nonexistent to “Are you wearing mascara?”
But lately I’ve developed a preoccupation with eyeliner, and I thought, why not me?
Having done a fair amount of study on the subject of eyeliner, I put together this guide based on my experience to help people who, like me, have always wanted to wear eyeliner, but didn’t know where to start.
So here we go:
1. Invest in quality eyeliner. I finally settled on a gel formula, Mac Fluidline in Blacktrack. I also bought an eyeliner brush, because I wanted to be sure I left Nordstrom with no money.
2. Starting on the center of your eyelid, draw a thin, straight line right up against the lash line.
3. Straighten out crooked lines by applying more liner.
4. Create a winged effect by extending your eyeliner out past your eye.
5. Don’t become discouraged when your eyeliner skips on those little wrinkles that you’re just now seeing for the first time.
6. Repeat on other eye.
7. Check to make sure both eyes look kind of similar.
8. Catch your reflection in the bedroom mirror and wonder if a smoky look might even things out.
9. Gently rub eyelids to smudge eyeliner.
10. Decide that you look like that guy from Green Day.
11. Google Green Day.
12. Debate whether it’s just the eyeliner or whether you actually do resemble Billie Joe Armstrong.
13. Wash face.
14. Go back to Nordstrom and return makeup.
15. Write blog.
So there you have it! I hope this little tutorial has been helpful for you.
And yes, I am wearing mascara today; thanks for noticing.